By the way, for the record, it’s pronounced JIF, not GIF. Just like the peanut butter.
You’ve likely seen these around. Pretty cool huh? The name is an acronym for Graphics Interchange Format that was introduced by CompuServe in 1987. Below are a few ideas about why and how you should incorporate them into your marketing communications.
And in case you’re still thinking about peanut butter, take a look at the animated image of our hammer-flippin’ contractors above. (How many times do you think he got hit in the head before landing it in his holster?) Well, that’s an example of a GIF.
The Benefits of a GIF
- GIFS give you an opportunity to showcase your brand’s personality and creativity.
- GIFS are dynamic, which allows them to show off details and motion that static photos simply can’t. The animation can also allow for a great opportunity to highlight a key function or feature of your product or service.
- GIFS increase your audience’s attention. People prefer consuming information in a visual form because the content is more appealing, engaging, and easy to understand. As the old saying goes, “A picture is worth 1,000 words.” That means a GIF must be worth 10,000!
- GIFS can help you explain a process. A short animated GIF could take the role of an explainer video without the extra steps of creating a full-blown video.
How to find GIFS on Google
- Enter your search term
- Click on ‘Images’.
- Then click ‘Tools’ to reveal a submenu.
- Select ‘Animated’ from the ‘Type’ drop-down.
How to find GIFS on Facebook
- Create a new post.
- Click the three dots (ellipsis) for more options.
- Select GIF from the options.
- Search for your topic or select from the trending GIFs.
Aside from Google and social media platforms, you can also find GIFs on dedicated websites such as GIPHY.
How to create GIFS
If you can’t find the perfect GIF, you can always create your own. You don’t have to hire a graphic designer (but if you do, we can help) to create a GIF as there are plenty of apps and tools that are easy to use including GIPHY, Make A Gif, EZGIF, and gifs.
If you love the idea of using GIFS but feel a little overwhelmed, SKIPPY the steps above and just email me for help: [email protected].
About Incite Creative, Inc.: Incite Creative is a marketing advisory firm that works in an outsourced capacity. In short, we become your company’s chief marketing officer (CMO) and do so virtually and efficiently — saving you time and money. Since 1999 we’ve had the pleasure of building and boosting brands for a core set of industries. Our thoughtful process, experienced team, and vested interest in our client’s success have positioned us as one of the Mid-Atlantic’s most sought-after marketing partners for those looking to grow their brand awareness and bottom line. Stop paying for digital and traditional services you may not need. Our retainer, no mark-up model means our recommendations don’t come with any catch or commission. The advice we provide align with what you need and what fits within your budget. For more information, contact us at 410-366-9479 or [email protected].